Chickens caused me so much PAIN!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by krcote, Nov 9, 2008.

1. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I was working a night shift instead of the normal day shift tonight and needed to get the girls in from free ranging before their normal bed time (hunny isn't very good at remember to lock them up). My favorite stubborn girl Judy was doing a real good job of giving me the run around. She ducked into the woods and I followed. Felt a HUGE NAIL shoot right through my Croc and into my FOOT! Wouln't you know that when I looked down it was was stuck to a piece of wood- grabbed it and ripped it out. RUSTY for sure. The people who owned the house before us threw a lot of trash just beyond the tree line... and my foot found it. Went to the ER and they hacked away at it, pulling out chuncks of rust and rubber Croc material. Got a shot too. Fun night. Thanks girls. Well at least I didn't have to go to work!

2. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Sure am sorry to hear that but glad ya went in for help for it. Try to enjoy your night off.

3. krcote

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    thanks zookeeper9000! i almost dont know what do to with myself! anyone have step-by-step instructions on how to "relax"?
    i seem to have misplaced mine....

4. aiwetir

aiwetir Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    portland, or
    but did you get the chicken in the coop? [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  5. missourichickenmama

missourichickenmama SURPRISE!

Jul 17, 2008
    Missouri
    owwwwwww ! is your tetanus shot up to date? oh yeah duhhh! your doctors gave you a shot! i think i misplaced my instruction book for my brain!(as many others have done!)

6. auracana07

auracana07 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    I'm so sorry about what happened. Our feathered friends are more trouble than they're worth. Like you said just take it easy for a while. Feel better soon!

7. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    So glad you went and took care of yourself, though. This is at least the second post today about stepping on bad thigs . . . everybody: update your immunizations, next time you are anywhere near your practitioner's office. So smart!

8. CarolMinnesota

CarolMinnesota Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2008
    Chickens are a huge amount of work--and certainly not a money saver.

But they can also be a lot of laughs. Last week I put two roos in with the hens for the first time. The one roo was not having any success, despite his best efforts.

I was sitting on my haunches watching everyone when he came up to me, did the side-stepping chicken dance, sang the coocoocooroo song and suddenly jumped up on my back and grabbed my baseball cap in his beak. I laughed so hard I shook him off.

First, second or third base?

9. krcote

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    aiwetir, I swore at her before I left and told her she had better be in there when I got back from the hospital. You bet your hiney she was still milling around when I got back. Luckily for her, she saw the look on my face and the limp in my walk and RAN into the coop. Sassy little bird.

10. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Ick!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by