Chickens changed their laying spot...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 8rand0, Jan 31, 2017.

1. 8rand0

8rand0 Just Hatched

Jan 18, 2017
    NorCal
    So,for those who don't know, I have 4 Red Comet Hens all 2-3years old from a local farmer, 6 2-3mos old chicks (2RIR,2BPR & 2WPR) and e recently acquired Svart Hona Hen and roo pair. The svart honas are about the same age as my chicks from size and what I was told. I plan on doing a toe breeding, so in addition to my original henhouse, I reclaimed 3 of my uncle's old,but good, rabbit pens(just need a lil tlc) Anyhow, after a few days of lockdown in their new homes(6 chicks in one and the 2 svart hona in another), while the hens use the henhouse, I let them out to free range. It's been about 3 days and I noticed after I let them all out in the morning, right away, the svart hona roo was chasin one of the red comet hens and nailed her. He got a couple more of em within the morning. I went to go fix the door of the one pen I wasn't using yet, and noticed a comet hen sitting in the back corner. So I left her alone and put off thee door for later and went fishing. Later when I came home, I was dark, i made sure everyone was in their perspective places and secured their doors for the night. When I looked into the unused pen, I noticed 3 eggs where the hen had been. I noticed their difference from the normal eggs right away, as they are lighter in color and larger than the usual comet eggs. I know that the svart hona have larger eggs than most chickens their size and that they are a rosy white egg...my comets lay browns...what made the hens lay in the unused pen instead of the henhouse like usual? In the pic, the 3 top eggs are the ones I found and the 3 bottom were from the last 3 days

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Adding birds can change lots of things...with a new cock around, she may have just been searching out a 'safer' place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by