Chickens Chase Car

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by centrarchid, Dec 11, 2011.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Every day I come home, drive car from front driveway to back porch, get out of car, round up feed and give it to birds in multiple locations. Free-range birds have recently taken up habit of chasing car around house apparently with intent of getting dibs on feed. They get to near dead run to keep up and follow car for a good 150 feet. Birds that are full do not pursue car. They seem only to pursue our car. Dog does same and knows it by sound as well as appearance,

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I had a leghorn rooster that used to do that. Such a sweet bird he was too.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Hahaha Mine used to chase the riding mower. I would start it up and run over leaves with it to shred them. The girls learned that when I did this, good things came up and they'd go behind the mower, which was moving slowly of course. So when I went to mow the grass after a winter of just doing that with it, I turned around and there were all my hens chasing the mower round in circles as fast as they could go as I mowed the yard! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Eventually they got tired and stopped. Haven't done it since.

4. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    You should really get a video of that. I am thinking you could win a prize on America's Funniest Videos!

Mine run to the car when I pull up in the driveway. I'm kind of scared I'm going to squash one! They know I give them treats when I pull up after work! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by