Chickens choking on food?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by johnnalei, Sep 18, 2009.

1. johnnalei

johnnalei Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Colorado
    I've noticed for some time that my hens will gag on their food. I frequently put their food up for most of the day so they forage, and when I let them have access to their food again, they eat it fast. They will then stop, and kind of cough or gag, almost like I would if it 'went down the wrong tube.' Is this typical? Also, sometimes my oldest hen sneezes randomly, and she was the first one I noticed having the gagging problem. Maybe it's some sort of chicken illness? She's sneezed for as long as I can remember (got her as an adult). Thanks for the suggestions!

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Maybe you should leave the food in front of them all the time. It sounds like they are pretty hungry.

I don't know what could be wrong with your hen though.

3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I agree with Kooshie that you should leave the food out all the time. My girls free range and during the day they will 'stop by' the coop for water and pellets.

Not having enough food available can cause a molt unnaturally which is not good especially this time of the year.

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    ditto above comments... feed should be available at all times even if they free range...

5. johnnalei

johnnalei Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Colorado
    Will do. Thanks for the tips [​IMG]

6. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Some are just piggies.. A lot of the laying/production breeds are. I myself really have no problem raising games/show bantams, once a day/not really much. And have no problems... It may also help to switch to smaller pellets (or break them in half, or 1/4ths) or crack corn if you use large pellets/whole corn. I will say that whole corn and large pellets can kill a bird, especially one that eats fast/a lot from personal experience...

7. mebuff daisy

mebuff daisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Hi , Some times I give my hens leftover food and thy choke on it so bad I have to pull it out of there becks and I do not want to mince it up, What do I do ?

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Either chop up food scraps to eliminate the hazzard or don't feed them whatever it is they are choking on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by