chickens comb color? hope this is the right forum?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cwren, Jul 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. cwren

cwren In the Brooder

Jul 12, 2018
    I have noticed that my gold lace wyandotte's have lighter combs than my dominiques. We tried to look at the skin of one and could not see much of it due to smaller feathers but what we did see did not show any kind of mite or lice, they do not itch or preen more than the others. The rooster has some odd white streaks in his wattle (is it called that? )

So I am new to this, I heard that a lighter comb is sign of illness or parasites, they seem ok. Is this true? They are young, bought as chicks Feb. 7.
    Thanks!

2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    It's an indication of something possibly being wrong, but it could also just be a breed difference. My larger hens go off-lay and get less comfortable when it's hot. Under those circumstances, the RIRs' combs are definitely paler than the leghorns' are.

Also, there are animals that are just naturally pale. When you check goats for worms, you look at their gums. (FAMACHA score. Anemia = worms.) But I knew one lady who raises goats for the fair, and by that standard, her two best girls constantly needed wormed.

3. cwren

cwren In the Brooder

Jul 12, 2018
    well.. we do live in South Carolina so of course it is warm, lol. 'warm' being only the 80s. We have a thermometer that is monitored in the house so they don't get past about 82 w/o us intervening. The other chickens do not have paler combs so maybe it is the breed; or at least this particular batch of that breed? I guess I will just wait and see.

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    If they are active, clear eyed, eating well, I don’t worry about them. Sometimes a bluish comb can indicate a heart problem, but you really can’t do anything about it.

If they are lively don’t worry, if you see mites or worms do something.

MrsK

sylviethecochin likes this.
  5. lomine

lomine Crowing

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    If you got them as chicks in Feb they are about 5.5 months now. Sounds to me like they are getting ready to lay. Those with the darker red combs are maturing faster and will likely lay earlier.

aart, Mrs. K and sylviethecochin like this.
  6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    On thinking on it, I think Iomine to has it right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: