Chickens comb is purple?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Top Rooster, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Top Rooster

Top Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    I have this brown leghorn who is for some reason broody in October, but anyway her come i noticed turn purple only on one half though (the half that is hanging on her eye) ,and i thought it may be because she is not moving much some days she doesent come out at all but i didnt know. if you could tell me what it means it would mean a lot thanks P.S she is hatching eggs

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Are you completely sure that she's broody? Aside from the fact that I have never, ever seen a Leghorn brood - they are without a doubt the least broody breed out there - it's very rare to have even broody breeds brood during winter. Could you please describe her behavior in full? Perhaps post some photos?

Darkened combs can be caused by things like poor circulation, or sometimes frostbite, but it would have to be quite cold for that. In many cases it's a symptom of a further illness. If it's just the very tips that are purple, that can happen in large combed breeds any time of the year and it generally isn't a sign of anything.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  3. Top Rooster

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    I am very certain she is broody the behaviors she does are she will sit in the nest day and night when I go to grab the eggs she will puff up and growl and make broody noises and she will peck me and is very protective

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Hmm. How odd.

Are you certain she is eating and drinking enough? How's her weight?

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy Top Rooster

First up, I am definitely not an expert on what ails chickens.

Pictures of her comb would definitely help with diagnosis.

QueenMisha has listed some valid reasons for darkened combs and I too am amazed that a Leghorn is broody in winter.

However, I do have another suggestion/thought.

Is she secluded in her nest box or are other chickens able to access her? If she is not alone, the discolouration could be from bruising from flock mates trying to bully her out of the nest box?

I currently have a Silkie X with a bruised comb due to being picked on by the broody flock matriarch.

6. Top Rooster

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    Her weight is good I do not know if she is drinking although she acts healthy

7. Top Rooster

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    I can not take a picture her nest is in the back of the coop it is pretty dark back there ,and she doesent see other hens unless they come to lay or roost

8. Top Rooster

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    She's hatched 2 chicks!

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Woo hoo .. congratulations! [​IMG]

10. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Congratulations to you and your broody on your hatch.

I had an exchequer leghorn go broody and hatch chicks earlier this summer so it does happen to leghorns occasionally. And yes my broody hens' combs often go dry and wizened and discoloured when they are brooding and I assumed it was perfectly normal.

Curious to know if you are in the southern hemisphere as it is unusual for a hen to brood in autumn, although my favourite broody has just hatched a chick last weekend, but that is her second hatch of the year. Just seems strange that you have two lots of unusual ie. a leghorn and brooding in autumn which is why I am thinking perhaps you are in Australia/New Zealand?.....I really wish people would put their location in their profile so that I don't have to ask so often! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by