Chicken's Comb Turning White

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by areyoueye, Dec 9, 2014.

1. areyoueye

areyoueye Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2014
    I have 9 chickens, inclusing 2 white leghorns, both of them have combs that are turning white. One is much worse than the other, and neither have whitening wattles. All the other ladies look fine.

Is this just frost bite, or something more serious? [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    1 person likes this.
  3. areyoueye

areyoueye Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2014
    Temps have been as low as 12 degF recently. It has been very wet here lately. Rain and snow almost every other day. But the coop is not wet, and there is good air flow. It is a bit wet in the run, but there isn't much I can do about that. It is covered but not on the sides. I am wondering if I shouldnt let them out during the day into their run, and just leave them in the coop....

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Getting wet with low temperatures can really cause frostbite. Many get frostbite in winter by getting wattles in water, or accidentally slip into a bowl of water and get feet wet, then are frostbitten in the bitter cold. Combs can get it at night inside the coop if there is no overhead ventilation high up in the coop to let out humidity. Humidity causes frostbite more than cold temperatures. You might try getting some clear plastic tarps for the sides of your run, and strap them securely so the wind doesn't blow them around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by