Chickens Coming Home to Roost

Poppycock

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 10, 2008
Alpine, UT
Well, I am writing to let you all know that chickens really do come home to roost. We moved our then 9 week old chicks to their coop (no run yet) and kept them in there for 2 weeks. Then on day 15 I let them out in the evening for about an hour but had to go so caught them and put them back in. Another week passed and then last night I had a free night so I let them out about an hour before sunset to free range(now they are 12 weeks old) and just hung around waiting to see if they really would go back into their coop on their own. So they were all basking in their dust bath and loving life when the sun went down. Still basking and pecking around without any intention of getting ready for bed as it started getting darker. I was about to give in and gather them all up but my DH said to wait just a little longer. Gradually they all moved closer to the coop but kind of just hung around outside it like they weren't quite sure what to do next. Then Bob the cockeral jumped in and started calling to his ladies and one by one within 5 minutes they were all inside and jostling one another for the coveted roosting spots. No treats, no calling, no running around trying to catch them all - easy as pie. So, happy day! It's really true!
yippiechickie.gif

I was amazed the first time my boys did that. They also know when it is time to get up. On Saturdays, if we sleep late (which means beyond 7am) they raise all kinds of ruckus until some one comes and opens up the run for them.

My favorite thing is to take my lawn chair out there & read while my flock is free ranging. Well, I hold a book under my nose, but I am really watching them-they are amazing animals, aren't they?

Mine are 12 weeks old and have been free ranging since they were 8 weeks old and they always come home after we eat dinner, it's funny because all I have to do is say nite-nite and close the coop doors till the rooster crows at 5am to get me up
barnie.gif
but we still love them all

funny. Tonight i was preppin the bbq.. and had my ladies out.. they were pecking all around the yard.. they had been out about 3 hours.. just shortly after the first signs of dusk i though i should go check on them,... I couldnt find them they were all in the coop up on their roost redding for the night.. I was stoked... So cool. Just cant wait for that First egg... any day... i hope.

The first time I let the girls out my friends were making fun of me " good luck catching all of them" I said that they are going to go in all by themselves when it gets dark!! They thought I was insane.
Sure enough all walked in and I softly shut the door. Their mouths dropped to the floor.
It was SWEET !!!

im so afraid i wont be able to get them back in if i let them out of the run. i should be encouraged because if one gets out accidentally it freaks out till i let it back in. I also have a nice size red tailed hawk hanging out nearby.

Back
Top Bottom