Chickens/compost/worms

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by andyc10, Jan 23, 2014.

1. andyc10

andyc10 New Egg

Jan 22, 2014
    Athens GA
    Any tips on using chickens to play around in my compost? I want to toss my scraps in their yard and let it pile up, then throw it in a worm bucket. Then set it aside for the garden. I'm new to using chickens and vermiculture.

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Best way to get them to dig threw it is to cover it with leaves or sprinkle some treats on top. Chickens can't resist a pile of leaves to dig threw!

3. sheetmetaltom

sheetmetaltom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    I have 3 compost piles in various stages of decomposition. they free range during the day so they will climb on them and dig and scratch.. plus a couple of times a week I throw1/2 a wheelbarrow of compost right in the run. by the end of the day you usually cant tell where it is. they've scratched and went through it and mixed it with whats already in there. I built mine right in my garden so in the spring i'll take it apart (I made it to be able to be moved) put it off to one side.and plant my veggies where they were. I don't put any worms in it, they seem to like it the way it is, kitchen scrapes, leaves, hay. hope this helps

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by