Chickens & compost

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Petect, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Petect

Petect Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2016
    Hampton, Ct
    Hi all
    I’m going to start letting my birds out of their run (free range) pretty soon. They are going to get into the compost pile, which is fine with me. My only concern is that I have been putting the litter from the coop into the pile, and there is a lot of it in there, and I plan to continue putting the litter into the compost. Base on the fact that they are doing fine after constantly fouling their feeder and waterer ( both situations now corrected ), I suspect that it won’t be a health problem, but I thought I’d ask. I could fence them out if REALLY necessary, but I’d prefer not to.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance….Pete

2. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    If they decided to scratch in the compost pile, they will turn it & pick out the worms & bugs.
    Other than making a mess out of your compost pile, good source of protein, IMO.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Chickens have been scratching through piles like that as long as there have been chickens. Mine have done so and seem to have lived.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's fine. chickens scratch through and ingest some of their own poop all the time. No problems.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    When Mama hen takes her chicks out of the nest, some of the chick's first snacks are chicken poop! That helps them get a healthy gut flora established.

6. Petect

Petect Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2016
    Hampton, Ct
    Thank you for the feedback!
    It's pretty obvious that chickens aren't very big on hygiene yet manage to stay healthy so I didn't think that poking around in a compost pile full of it would hurt them, BUT it's good to know for sure.
    Pete

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by