Chickens confused by the snow

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Luciesbuddys, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Luciesbuddys

Luciesbuddys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    my chickens normally free range in the after noon and find the way to to coop by 3:30 but the snow... I'm guessing has them all messed up. One decided to roost on my front lawn and one of the others is now missing im sure she is roosting some where but finding her in 5 acres proves to be pretty impossible. Any advice other than stop free rangeing?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

As part of early training, I "condition" my birds to come by shaking a can of pellets or grains. Do it day after day after day. I've found that conditioning useful in calling in birds. That is something you may wish to do, going forward. Kind of a Pavlov thing.

3. Luciesbuddys

Luciesbuddys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Yeah mine actually get that concept but for some reason they don't like to move in the snow. She was standing in a spot where there was no snow but would not move .... but during the day time they walk around like normal

4. rirbrahma

rirbrahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    I wish it snowed here! [​IMG]

5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    [​IMG] Sounds pretty cute. I wish it snowed here too! Whenever there's somewhere my chickens don't want to go, I pick them up and plonk them down, to show them nothing bad's going to happen while they're there... works a treat. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by