Chickens Constantly Pulling Out Feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KatazmarazDevons, Aug 30, 2008.

1. KatazmarazDevons

KatazmarazDevons New Egg

Aug 30, 2008
    Our pre-school has two hens that constantly pick at one another and pull out each others' feathers. Sometimes it looks raw and red. Also, is it normal for them to dig and roll around in the dirt and/or tanbark. They seem to like rolling around in slightly wet dirt. They were wormed with ivermectin back in May. And have been bathed.

One of the alum parents claim they have "Blackhead."
    They have free range during the day and are in their housing at night.

Please help???

Thanks,

Tammy

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Try adding a nutritional supplement like Avia Charge 2000 to their water (you can get it on line).

What is their diet?

Is their housing clean - any bedding fresh? What is used?

JJ

3. KatazmarazDevons

KatazmarazDevons New Egg

Aug 30, 2008
    They are fed a premium diet of chicken laying crumbles. They get scratch as a treat. Their housing is cleaned and scraped daily. And we use straw.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    That info helps rule out some things so that's good!
    I would add the Avia Charge.

I wonder if the 2 hens just happen to dislike each other. That would be a bummer considering there's just the 2 of them. I have just two also....

I woul consider adding a drop or two of Rescue Remedy (health food stores have) to their water each day for a little while. It is known for its calming effect.

As to the rawness/redness, this may in itself attract pecking. They may each benefit from a bit of neosporin on the raw skin or something like blukote to camoflage the red color and allow healing.
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by