chickens coughing and not laying?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amieml, Jun 25, 2011.

1. amieml

amieml New Egg

May 21, 2011
    Hi, I seem to have a problem. The chickens that we got from a breeder about 2 months ago had a weird coughing sound when we got them (just one, or so we thought at the time), now the others, including the ones we already had, do too. We had 6 originally that were laying just fine and added the others to make it 16 hens altogether, but we are only getting around 6 to 9 eggs daily. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong? They aren't listless or acting funny, their eyes aren't runny, no discharge anywhere and the eggs we are getting look good, so we're a little clueless. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Coughing is not q good sign..it means something is wrong.. And egg laying goes along with health..so I would personally, have separated the first that were coughing from the rest..and treat, but sounds now sweetie the whole flock has it? Do u have the links to illnesses..please do a search and treat with appropriate meds..

Tylan, baytril, etc

Search hear on coughing
    And losts of luck to u..

And hopefully others will chime in with their advice too
    Xoxo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by