Chickens Crop is HUGE and Squishy!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jkzimm04, Aug 4, 2011.

1. jkzimm04

jkzimm04 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    I have a barred rock hen who isn't doing so well. I caught her and separated her from my others because her crop is SO full, it's bulging and she's separating herself from the others. I noticed it today. It's not hard, it feels like there is liquid in there. I read to smell at their beaks to see if you smell a sour smell and was afraid to get my face that close. She isn't happy with me. I did notice though an odd smell when I was near her, hard to explain the smell. Not sure what's wrong but any advice would be appreciated! I wanna get my gal better and she wants with her pals!! [​IMG]

2. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Do a search for sour crop ....

She may have just over ate something that was tasty ... or it could be sour crop if it's liquidy and smelly.

Has it been full for a few days ? If it's empty in the am then all is probably fine - and she just ate too much.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  3. jkzimm04

Apr 7, 2011
    I'm pretty sure it's sour crop! My mother in law came over to help me and we turned my chicken upside down and held her beak open and the nasty stuff was flowing out! We did it several times and not for more than 15 second at a time. The stuff stopped coming and she's still full, but not quite as full. I will let her rest for a bit and when my hubby gets home I will have him try to help me do that again. I can tell that she was feeling a bit better. After we got some of that nasty stuff out, she started biting at me! At first she didn't try to fight us off. So, I will keep her separated and try to get this sour stuff out! From what I read I'm to hold the food for a day or so until it seems that she is getting back to normal. Any other advice on what to do would be of great help! Thanks.

4. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

They can go fairly quick (day or 2) if not treated and it's not the crop size but the fact you said not doing so well. Hope it works out for you.

5. jkzimm04

Apr 7, 2011
    Okay, but what should I do to treat it?? Am I doing it right, wrong I just don't know!

6. jkzimm04

Apr 7, 2011
    And I want to add that she was trying to eat...do I let her eat? She was separating herself from the others but is up and around and not listless or anything like that. So to me she's acting more depressed...but it's obvious her crop is giving her issues....when some of the stuff came out it stank horribly.

7. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

I haven't had any problems with big birds, but haven't had great success with treating the little ones [​IMG] I tried the olive oil thing but it didn't work, however, it sounds like what your doing should work. I wouldn't let her eat anymore until it goes way down, but lots of water. Do you have any "Sav-a-chik" or have a store you can get some at or something similar, that could help a lot also?

[​IMG]

8. jkzimm04

Apr 7, 2011
    I will call my local TSC and see if they have that and run in and get some if they do!!!

9. jkzimm04

Apr 7, 2011
    So I am going out on the hour and making her vomit some of this nasty stuff up. I will do it two times and some stuff comes out and it seems that on try 3 nothing is coming out! I can here it gurgling when I massage her crop. It's still very full and it's definitely liquid in there. Is there any other way to get it out?

10. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    I agree with colebarnhart. I had the same thing with 2 pullets about a month or so ago. I lost one right away. With the second girl, I pulled all her food for 24 hrs and only gave Sav A Chick as sole source of water. I kept her in the coop with the others but in a dog crate by herself so I wouldn't have re-introduction problems later. It did work. Don't know if it's what I did or a fluke. Best of luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by