1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens crouching?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bulldog164, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Bulldog164

Bulldog164 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2013
    Devon, UK
    Hi everyone, a couple of my chickens have, today, started crouching. My polish frizzle for example (who I am unsure of sex, but I think a hen) when I walk up to her to stroke or pick up, she crouches down and sometimes spreads her wings out (almost like she's sticking her elbows out?) none of my chickens lay yet due to age and/or sex. Can anyone shed any light on what might be going on?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Your pullets are 'squatting' indicating that they are becoming sexually mature and are interested in mating.

3. Bulldog164

Jun 7, 2013
    Devon, UK
    Oh right ok, so that would suggest she is a girl? Does it have anything to do with laying?

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Usually it indicates that laying is soon to commence.

5. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Just because it squats does not mean it is going to be a hen! Though I hope yours does turn into one! How old are the chicks?
    I had a lovely Maran a few years back and it squatted for ages everytime I went near it. It had a really fluffy butt and I thought it was a hen. But it never laid and it never crowed. Then it started to do the cock danceing! So it was Squatting one minuite and doing a rooster dance the next? After 6 months it finally decided to crow - Darn! [​IMG] Though by that stage I had given him away! [​IMG]

Oes

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  6. Bulldog164

Jun 7, 2013
    Devon, UK
    I don't know how old they are, but its mainly the polish frizzle doing it who was given to me. I guess I'll have to wait to see what happens. Only trouble is I've blocked the nest boxs off in the coop to stop everyone perching on the edge and to start perching on the actual perches lol

7. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Some of my girls sleep in the nest boxes!

Oes

8. Bulldog164

Jun 7, 2013
    Devon, UK
    I'm just trying to break them out of the habit before anyone starts laying to stop them messing the best boxes and getting in the way :)7

9. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Are your roosts higher than the nest boxes? If not, try to raise them. Chickens tend to roost at the highest point possible.

10. mithious

mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

I blocked my nest boxes for a week( after putting them up ) so they had to use the roosts. Once they were using the roosts, I unblocked the nest boxes and filled with straw, as I have a 5-6 really red faced pullets, a bit early for my breed, but they are hatchery chicks, so could have some other mix that would cause them to lay earlier? They are just mutts. so who knows, and I have a wild Tom turkey hanging around, so I know the girls are getting ready, prolly sometime in the next month? Sooner would be nice...they are about 14 weeks? There about. So was really surprised to see the girls faces getting red and their little combs and tiny wattles starting to get red. No squatting yet, but they are getting MUCH friendlier, and letting me handle them more...I could always handle them, but they now want much more "attention". So I know it's coming soon!!!! Plus Mr Roo is acting more protective of them also...so many signs that things are progressing a bit sooner than I had thought!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by