1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens dancing in the rain?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yinzerchick, Sep 22, 2011.

1. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    I always heard that chickens don't like being out in the rain and will run and hide.[​IMG] It is raining here, thunder and lightning too, and my chickens are out in it as if nothing is happening! In fact, they seem to be really enjoying it.[​IMG] Now it doesn't rain much, and we're in a heck of a drought, so this is only about the 3rd or 4th time they've even seen rain, so maybe that's why? Each time they've stayed out in it. I know they love wet ground, but I didn't think they would love being rained on since they run from the sprinkler and hose! Goofy birds.[​IMG]
    Anybody elses birds like the rain?

2. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    If I ever let a pen out birds out to wander and it has been raining for awhile they have already formed a line and patrolled the yard picking up dozens of worms.

3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I think they are praising God for the rain! [​IMG]

4. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I hear ya! I am in Azle, and mine never went inside. They are just enjoying the rain, but their run is under a big old oak tree.

My hubby is so thrilled, it has been raining all day! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by