chickens daylilies and snakes

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by beefy, May 1, 2009.

1. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    Go me, i was finally able to convince Zelda to change her old ways and not get broody on the lawn furniture anymore.
    [​IMG]

Conway Tweedy in his magnolia tree.
    [​IMG]

some of my daylilies were blooming today. this is Pat Garrity ( i think)
    [​IMG]

Miniature Mime
    [​IMG]

a snake a day helps keeps the rats away. cardiac arrest is a different story...
    [​IMG]

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I was good until we got to that last pic. Ick, ick, ICK!!!! I'd have to move if I came across that in my garden.

I love the broody hen pic. She looks so peaceful. Awwww!

3. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! Never a dull moment!

4. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

That snake is looking fine as long as it is in your yard and not mine!!!!!!!!!!!

can it get at your birds???

5. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    it could but hes not a threat. my chickens eat snakes, lol. they were actually all sundusting right by him paying him no attention. he is about to molt.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  6. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    he is a kingsnake and you are so lucky to have him! Not only does he work on the rodent population for you, but kingsnakes also specialize in eating venomous snakes! They are wonderful to have around and not as common as they once were!

Great pic [​IMG]

7. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    i know i have several pics of them eating other snakes. one i just took a few days ago, of a kingsnake killing another snake but i think it was just a brown water snake.

[​IMG]

kingsnakes are probably the most commonly seen snake around my house and thats fine with me.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  8. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    wow! Very cool! That's an awesome pic! I do wish they would stick with eating just the venomous ones, but oh well. I love them anyway. You are lucky to have such a healthy population! Of course, I am a biased snake-lover anyway. I like all of them, even the poisonous ones. When living in California (nothing venomous here in SW Washington), I would catch rattlesnakes and move them away from the house so no one would kill them. I love them all and think they're all beautiful!

Again, awesome pics!

9. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Awesome snake! And in blue, so cool. Great pics, Peanut.

10. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Cool pix!

We had a bull snake in the garage the other day. I hope he stays all summer. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by