1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens decided to move tonight

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mct01, Oct 3, 2016.

1. mct01

mct01 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2016
    Lascassas, Tn
    Our 5 chickens (Isa Browns) are about 6 months old. Every evening they put themselves up in the tractor, we close the door until morning. Tonight they did not want to go in the tractor but went into the shed that I put up for their winter shelter. The shed has been up for 3 months and they have not gone in it. It is 56 degrees out tonight so it's not cold. Any ideas why they would change their routine. The tractor is in a fenced 50'x 30' area. It's got grass and a tree in there. They run around and eat bugs but also have layer pellets, oyster shell and grit available. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

2. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Maybe it's got to do with the hours of daylight? Or something came by the tractor and scared them the night before?? Hard to know.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Be glad they decided for themselves and hopefully continue without you having to coerce them to use winter quarters. Might be a good time to remove or close off access to tractor.

Could be the tractor is getting too small as they grow?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by