chickens does not drink much water

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sus9441, Mar 8, 2015.

1. sus9441

sus9441 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2014
    I have 5 chickens and in a day, they drink less than one small bowl of water. is that bad?
    how do i make them drink more water?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If the water is fresh and not hot, they'll drink what they need. They'll drink a lot more in hot weather.

3. ChristieB

ChristieB Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Queensland
    "You can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink ". Saying is used as a metaphor but is quite literal for all animals. As long as you are providing clean fresh water they will take what they need

4. WNCcluck

WNCcluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2014
    Mountains of WNC
    X2

The key words are "clean" and "fresh". Waterers that aren't susceptible to being pooped in or turned over are much preferred. Also, if your girls are free ranging, it's possible they've found water you didn't realize you had or that there's more moisture in what they're eating than would be in standard food.

Is the small bowl all you're putting out? We usually start with at least a gallon for our eight hens each day. They've never drained the whole gallon in one day, but they've put a serious dent in it on warmer days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by