Chickens don’t like Carhartt

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Angelfishie, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Angelfishie

Angelfishie Chirping

Jul 24, 2019
    Beggs, OK
    Fall has arrived in our area, and I’m fairly intolerant, mainly of the wind. So, this afternoon I put on my big, bulky Carhartt jacket to go change the chicken water. At the time I didn’t understand what was going on, but they went bonkers, two of them even flying into the fence head first, the majority running away as fast as they could.

Later I stepped out on the porch without the coat and they seemed normal. I figure it had to be the coat. So, at scratch time (time to go back to the pen) I put on the coat again. I practically had to beg them to come get their ration of scratch.

Once they figured out I wasn’t a monster they trickled into the pen. Normally they’ll eat from my hand but most of them wouldn’t get near me.

I was fairly entertained by the whole deal (except the flying head first into the fence) and now understand why we call people “chicken” when they’re scared. :lau

2. BGcoop

BGcoop Songster

Aug 5, 2018
  3. HAPPYCHICKENLADY17

HAPPYCHICKENLADY17 Songster

Jan 31, 2019
    SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
    that is too funny....i have a pair of rubber shoes i wear in the run...some of my girls dont like them, they just peck and peck them...but if i change to a different pair they dont even go near them.....

4. DiYMama540

DiYMama540 Crowing

Jun 25, 2019
    SW VA
    My Coop
    :lau Oh that is too funny! Cold hasn't quite struck here but I imagine I'll be having the same problems when I come out in a coat and heavier boots! I'll try to refrain from the Carhartt though...maybe Columbia?? :gig

5. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

Just wait until you buy a rain slicker...oh my word.
    I just get wet, it isn't worth the cackle hassle.:barnie

6. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Anything different can freak them out. I'm the "Big Blue Hen" because I usually wear a blue apron when I go out among them, so they'll recognize me. Goofy birds. ... (I'm not sure the BLs ever will, though!)

7. penny1960

penny1960 Yippy Do Da, Yipptye Ay!

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Yes well I have a bright yellow slicker even my cockerel freaked had to hang it out there for a day for them to not go nuts crazy

8. mdquilts

mdquilts Songster

Mar 26, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Don’t even think about using an umbrella near them. Trust me.

9. HeyHo

HeyHo Songster

May 17, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Hahaha. Good tip!

10. Trish1974

Trish1974 Araucana enthusiast

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    My Coop
    YES! Been there, done that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: