Chickens don't get along, any advice?

SamSimone

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 19, 2014
Hi guys,

I'm the owner of 3 chickens for 3 years now. Until last autumn these 3 were very friendly to each other but since the last molting period one of the three thinks she is the boss. For example, when the sun sets she does not allow the other 2 to sleep on the stick in their coop, but she forces them (by pecking in their face and eyes ) to sleep somewhere else, so she is on the highest stick.

Does anyone know how to change this unkind behavior?
Thanks for your help!

I'm afraid that's chicken society for you. There's nothing to worry about as long as you provide sufficient roosting space for all your birds.

Ct

Sounds like there may have been a shift in your pecking order and your new top hen is quite the little tyrant. You could remove the meanie for a few days to see if that resets things. Or make her her own small section in the coop so the other two girls can have a break from her. Good luck!

They can be bullies. Sometimes there are adjustments to the pecking order. Maybe your former lead hen is feeling a bit off during the molt and the other saw the opportunity to advance her position.

If your coop is big enough I suggest you put up a separate roost located far enough away from the main roost so the bully doesn’t attack them. Make sure it is higher than your nests so they don’t sleep in there. You can even make it a little lower than the main stick so the bully doesn’t try to take it over.

Back
Top Bottom