Chickens don't go in their coop at night. Why????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TCollier, Jun 28, 2010.

1. TCollier

TCollier Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    My chickens are 6 weeks old (7 weeks old in 2 days) and I have to go out and put them in their coop every night. Why won't they go in in the evenings? Perfect example last night we had a major thunderstorm and they were all packed in under the ramp going into the coop rather than being in a nice dry coop. They will go in the coop during the day off and on but at sundown I am having to go out there and put them in so predators don't get them. The run is secure but I don't wanna take any chances. Food and water are provided in the coop and in the run.

Thanks
    Tom

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Put a small light out there (inside the housing) about 30 minutes before dark. If you don't have electricity, then just set a flashlight out there. When you go out to do a head count, turn the flashlight off. That seems to work for most folks. After about a week of doing that, they'll probably go in without it. At that age, I would think that they really don't see the coop as the safe zone/home yet. Until they get use to it, leaving the light (safety) and going into a place that's darker than where they are isn't really logical... They'll learn where there safe zone is soon. Good luck!

3. bjash

bjash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Moline, MI
    I have a similar setup, but my food and water are only in the coop. My run is secure, but I also like keeping them in the coop at night. Mine are about 12 weeks old and they still like sleeping outside the coop in a dogpile. Sometimes some of them will go in to roost on the lower roost rail so they can still see outside the coop, but most of them still lay on the ground.

We have a dusk timer in our coop too (seems to bring them into eat and drink after dark, but usually when they're done, they're back outside again).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  4. TCollier

TCollier Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    I will try the the small light in the coop and see if that works. Thanks Guys.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'm curious...did you try the light, and did it work???

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I agree, the light is often the problem in getting birds to go in at night- here's an article explaining and giving helpful hints.

Bedtime Coop Persuasion

7. ladybird12

ladybird12 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2010
    Three of my ladies refuse to go in and cuddle up together by the coop door [​IMG] I have to go down when nearly dark and pick them up and place them in , even then they try and come back out [​IMG]

8. myminicooper

myminicooper Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    San Fernando Valley
    I had this problem with my girls who are now 10 weeks old. I didn't lock them in as I felt bad for them to be so cooped up. I tried the light, and they still didn't seem to get it. So I just left their food and water in the coop so they would have to go in there to eat or drink and just put them inside at night or sometimes lured them inside during the day a few times w/ treats so they could find it. After a few weeks they got it. They free range all day now and at 8pm they are inside snuggled up in the corner ready for bed.

9. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    When I introduced my girls and roo to their coop I locked them in for 7 days and nights with food and water. When I finally opened the pop door to the run they stuck their heads out but were a bit slow going out. From then on they go in at night and get comfortable before it gets too dark. [​IMG] They're creatures of habit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by