Chickens don't mind rain

Y N dottes

Songster
7 Years
Sep 1, 2012
South Central WI
I live in Wisonsin, and it has rained the last few days where i am.
My chickens dont mind it at all though and will go out and get wet on their own. The only thing I'm worried about is that it is getting quite cold at night, maybe around 40 degrees F, and im wondering if my chickens will have a harder time staying warm if they are wet.
The coop is draft free, but not insulated, so Im wondering if I should keep them out of the rain......any advice is appreciated.

We are in northern Michigan and all of our chicken's play out in the cold and rain. None have gotten sick. They could go in the coop if they wanted and do not choose to.

I would venture that the chickens are not wet down in the feathers, just on the outside. That would prevent them from getting cold simply from being in the rain.

Mine will often stay out in the rain. When they shake, water goes everywhere, and they go on with their lives. Chickens have oils on the feathers just as ducks and other fowl to prevent saturation of the feathers and to keep the actual body dry.

Chickens not smart enough to manage themselves in their environment would have removed themselves from the gene pool long ago.

Chris

i was wondering about that. we've been in drought so the first time i have observed them in the rain was a few days ago. when it got really heavy they ducked under a few things but never offered to go inside. these are grown chickens not little ones. i wonder about hailstorms? hope they'll seek shelter then. I've seen them buffeted around by some pretty strong winds that's kinda funny.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom