Chickens don't use the roost bar

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stephen_tx, Aug 11, 2008.

1. stephen_tx

stephen_tx Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2008
    Midlothian, Texas
    I've had the girls in their new home for about a week now. When they were in their temporary home they used the small roost bar we setup for them, but now in their permanent home they have a 2x2 roost bar and although I've placed them on it a few times, I'll peek in on them at night and they are huddled down under the feed and water buckets. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my roost bar?

I heard on another board that chickens cannot see at night and so with no windows, when I close them in at night they can't see to jump up on the roost. If this is true then I'll need to make sure that my plan to put a window on the back door will have to happen a little faster than expected.

[​IMG]

Stephen_TX

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    You can try to go out at night and place them on it. It may take a few times of doing this for them to get the hint. Or they may never, some like to sleep on the floor.

3. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Mine are 10 weeks old now and still dont sleep on their roosts. They would rather the window sills.

4. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    I don't think they know the difference between the window sill and roost. [​IMG] They like to sleep in the highest spot.

Your coop is darling! Just go out for a few nights and put them on the roost until they get the idea. It is healthier for them to be on the roost at night, but I do not know that it is instinctual for all hens. Ours are all so domesticated at this point it is necessary to train them a bit.

5. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Believe it or not, they will eventually find it and use it...

...what I'm learning about chickens, besides them being very entertaining creatures, are that they are not too bright and they are indeed creatures of habit.

Be patient...

6. skyfires

skyfires Trying to hide

Jul 19, 2008
    The Ozarks of Arkansas
    Hello Stephen,,Was just staring at your coop there,,,Wow I love it!!! Clean, fresh, and everything in place. Just one thing I saw in the photo, and might be the problem with them not going on the roost. The roost pole is square, this should be rounded. They might find it tough to stand on all night. It might be giving them sore feet. I have natural tree saplings cut to length in my coop. They stand on them all night with no problems. But I Love Your Coop!!! Great Job!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Chicken of the Sea

Chicken of the Sea Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2008
    Wellsboro, PA
    Actually chickens like the flat surfaces, I use 2x4s and they work fine. Chickens squat rather than grip like some birds do. They will eventually ise it.

8. pvc coop

pvc coop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Build a ladder going up to the roost?

9. Ricks Chicks

Ricks Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine use The top shelve when inside they hardly ever use the roosts. I also have 2 roosts outside that they use during the day one is 2x2 the other is a broom handel. They seem to use the broom handel more.

10. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    Quote:i was wondering if maybe the roost was too narrow to be comfy. it's hard to tell the scale in this picture and i don't know what breeds the OP has, but i know that my BO hen doesn't care for skinny roosts. she'd rather sleep on the floor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by