Chickens dropping dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CrystalRain, Sep 13, 2011.

1. CrystalRain

CrystalRain New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    Cooped the chickens last night. Fed & watered them this morning & all was well. Upon returning home, (9 hrs. later), both of our Silky roosters were dead & one Americana hen. We let the rest of the flock out & they were fine. Not even an hour later 3 more Americana hens returned to the coop & dropped dead! They are not at all "old", they hatched in April. What the heck gives?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Here is a link to common poultry diseases with diagnosis charts at the bottom:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    Fowl cholera is listed as "dead birds no sign of disease" in one chart but I have no experience with it and so cannot advise you.

Could they have overheated?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Well, I don't know what area you live in, but where I am, it's VERY hot & humid. Could that be it? Are they getting too hot where they are?
    Are they just seriously 'dropping dead' or is it possible something is getting to them? Any feathers scattered around, etc?
    Need more info.

4. CrystalRain

CrystalRain New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    Thanks for the link, will check it out. [​IMG]
    As far as the heat, it's pretty dang hot! I live in Central Texas & it's been hotter than today. Thanks for ya'll's replies though, something to think about for sure.

5. DelcoChix

DelcoChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    When they were out could they have possibly gotten into something? Maybe some moldy feed, something poisonous? Just a thought...sorry for your losses and best of luck in figuring the mystery out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by