Chickens, Ducks, Turkeys sharing coop space?

ALDavis

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2015
Tennessee
Here's the skinny. Can I coop 5 hens, 1 rooster, 1 duck and 1 turkey together? I have plenty of roost space for the chickens and even more roost space on the opposite side of the coop for a turkey and plenty of safe bedded down space for a duck within the coop. I currently have 3 hens and a rooster but I know for sure Ill be adding 2 more hens to my flock. The thing is I really want a turkey and a duck. My chickens are completely free range, they come and go as they please whenever they please from the barn, which is where the duck and Turkey would also be kept. I'm getting conflicting reports on everything. Some say the chickens will injury the duck with pecking, some say they can be raised fine together, some say turkeys and chickens are okay together as long as they're raised together, others say they'll always have a dominance issue. I know it's not black and white because no 2 animals are the same but has anyone had any luck with it?

I keep my chickens and ducks together. It takes some precaution but it can be done. It's best not to keep the water in the coop because the ducks will make an unholy mess with it and the chickens don't handle wetness well. Turkeys, I've never done. In some places keeping turkeys and chickens together is a terrible idea because of blackhead.

Also, you'll need at least two ducks - they are flock animals and need at least one companion of their own species. If I were you I'd stick to just females too, because a male duck that doesn't have enough mates of his own kind will try to mate with your hens - and thanks to anatomical differences this causes serious injury and even death.

I have chicken nipples for my water system right now. I have a claw foot bathtub close to the barn to be used as a "pond"for the ducks and I was going to put a water dish outside of the barn for the duck.I don't intend to get any male ducks. We're your chickens and ducks raised together?

Sometimes yes and sometimes no, it didn't really seem to make much of a difference either way to them - the ducks stay with the ducks and the chickens stay with the chickens when they are out and about, they don't really hang out together too much.

I have chicken nipples for my water system right now. I have a claw foot bathtub close to the barn to be used as a "pond"for the ducks and I was going to put a water dish outside of the barn for the duck.I don't intend to get any male ducks. We're your chickens and ducks raised together?
I'd be careful with a bathtub for the ducks to swim in, go with something shallower as chickens can't swim.

Back
Top Bottom