chickens dumping feed everywhere

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ufgrad98, Sep 23, 2011.

1. ufgrad98

ufgrad98 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    My chickens are about 22 weeks old. For the last week, I've noticed that Ive been going through A LOT of feed. I have a hanging feed bucket and i usually fill it up and only have to refill 2 a week. I filled it up to the top yesterday and its almost gone today. It is ALL.OVER.THE.COOP!!! They are just pecking it out and throwing it on the floor all of a sudden. Any suggestions? This has not been a problem in the past.....

2. amydzek

amydzek Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    mine do this as well... it drives me bonkers!!! Sadly my chickens have me trained, I just assume that they need/want something else to eat so when they start dumping their food out I make them something to eat... chicken and rice, ground beef and rice, noodles, salad... deviled eggs...
    they eventually stop.. I guess they are playing or looking for something else, sorry I am no help [​IMG]

3. ufgrad98

ufgrad98 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    do i need to keep refilling the food bucket, or will they eat the spilled food on the coop floor?

4. SuburbanSue

SuburbanSue Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    Emerson, New Jersey
    mine are just a little older than yours...I have the same type feeder and the same problem. Just filled it up 3/4 full yesterday and today is almost empty. I'm gonna try making a feeder out of PVC piping that I have seen on the internet. My intent is to have this mounted off the floor with a wooden tray under it to catch as much as I can. Its frustrating to see the feed scattered on the floor. I'm not sure if they will eat it off the floor, today I hand scooped the feed from around the feeder and put it in a pile on the side...we will see what happens tomorrow!

[​IMG]

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:I would make them clean it up, and if it were me, I'd put a catch pan under your feeder, kind of like this or figure something out for your situation:
    [​IMG]

6. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    THis is what mine did...I thought it had something to do with all 16 chickens trying to eat at the same time kind of a free for all. I had 2 pvc pipe (the ones with the y at the bottom). So i switch to a 45 degree elbow, 3 -4 ft pipe with holes in the top. No foot spilt now! I need to make up the second one whereas there are only 5 holes right now. I think they need more! I will have to take pics! I got the idea from the pvc feeder page here!

7. amydzek

amydzek Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    very good idea!!!! I love it!!!

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by