chickens dust bath

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by warren, Nov 23, 2007.

1. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    [​IMG]

Here are my two enjoying a dust bath. Bella is the one who has been plucked and Daisy is the feather eater. I hope that poor Bella will grow some more feathers soon as we are expecting temperatures of about -5C tonight here in the UK midlands.

2. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I had issues of feather eating here - some would eat them off the ground and some would sneak up on another chicken and grab a tail feather LOL I posted the question what to do and was told to feed them cat food because of the protein. I started feeding them kitten food with high protein - it works great they love it and dont seem to pick on each other as much still have a few that are being brats.
    your girls look like they are having a great time.

Julie

3. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    Thanks for your reply Julie.
    I have been giving them a good diet including boiled eggs and I think that it may have helped. I also tell Daisy off when I see her look at Bella's rear with intent to peck. I have noticed that she looks at Bella and then looks to see if I am looking at her. I think that it has had some effect. I have not seen her eat any feathers for a few days now. I am also allowing them more freedom around the garden. They have weeded most of it for us so there is not so much work to do!

4. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    i plan on building little temp pens around the area's I want to plant flowers this spring and let a few of the girls here turn the soil and eat the bugs and weeds I would have never thought of this if I had never found this site-of course I dont think I would have as many chickens if I had not found this site LOL

Julie

5. dragonchick

dragonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    The first time I saw one of my chicks having a dust bath it freaked me out. I thought the poor thing was injured. She was laying on her side and kicking her feet. She sorta looked like she was having a seizure. I bent down to pick her up and she jumped. She gave me this look like she was saying " Hey you, how dare you interrupt my spa time"!!!!. It was so funny. I put her back down and she went back to her bath. One of the larger chicks stepped right in the middle of her and stood there. It didn't seem to faze her at all. These chicks have been a source of constant entertainment with their antics.
    Andi

6. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Add a handfull of sunflower seeds as a treat....it has melathionine in it that is necessary for feather growth.....feather eating is a symptom of not only lack of protein but also lack of melathionine.

I just get the sunflower seeds that you can buy for bird feeders....Black Oil Sunflower Seeds....feed them whole with the hull on it. If you buy the "human stuff", make sure it's unsalted.

Good Luck
    Sandra

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by