chickens dying at fast rate please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bluhen, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Bluhen

Bluhen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i got what i thought was fowl pox running through my flock. my juveniles seemed to be most affected and had crusty bumps on the featherless areas of their face. looked like big warts. well now i am starting to lose young adults as well. i FINALLY caught one right about to die. her eyes were puffy and swollen shut, and inside her mouth there was this whitish/yellow chunky crap stuck to its mouth and throat. it was silently gasping for breath, its mouth slowly opening and closing. seemed very underweight. and had a what looked like was tiny little lice or fleas maybe?

please help me figure out what this is. do i need to cull my whole flock? because at this point i am really freaked out and dont know what to do :'(

2. Bluhen

Dec 30, 2014
    is this cankers? wet pox? i am getting marek and fowl pox vaccines hopefully by next week.

3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    It appears to be the wet form of pox :( Here is an article explaining what you are seeing and what can be done. http://poultrykeeper.com/external-problems/fowl-pox If you saw lice that is probably one of the ways it is spreading. :( I hope you can save the ones who don't look sick yet.[​IMG]
    This article is better-not pushing a product http://beautyofbirds.com/fowlpox.html

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's wet pox. She has lost weight due to her inability to swallow feed due to the lesions in her mouth and most likely in her esophagus and trachea as well. Fowl pox is a virus, there are no treatments. I recommend that you cull her.

5. Bluhen

Dec 30, 2014
    thank you everyone thats what i suspected. i know the vaccine wont work on my older birds, but if i can keep my new hatches protected then at least i wouldnt be so upset :/

6. Bluhen

Dec 30, 2014
    question i have 3 week old qaurentined in the basement...is it too late to vax them?

7. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    In the second link I gave you,(post#3) it says they can be vaccinated at 6 to 10 weeks. In the mean time, the strictest boisecurity possible is important! Sorry you have to do some culling but it's best for your upcoming flocks. Don't forget to eradicate lice and fleas, disinfect everything and keep mosquito population under control. [​IMG]

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by