Chickens dying one after the other

brummie

Songster
9 Years
Aug 30, 2013
I need all the advice I can get on this. I've had 3 chickens die over the last month and now my rooster is showing same symptoms.

All the chickens that have died and rooster are between 6 months- 2 years old.

Usually in the chickens the first sign was that they stopped laying for no apparent reason. (days are getting longer, still eating at this point seemingly fine, and a couple of hem only started re-laying after they had stopped over winter).

After a week or so, they clearly became weak, lost weight, were getting really skinny, were not moving around much, listless, hunched wit tail feathers down, drooping wings and whilst they seemed to be drinking ok, at this stage they were hardly eating, even treats were only being nibbled at. All previous chickens showing these symptoms died after a couple of weeks in this listless state. they all had somewhat greenish diarrea. (this happened to the 3 chickens one after the other).

Now my rooster is showing the same symptoms (after the last one died only 5 days ago), but his diarrea is clearly green, and I did not notice in the other chickens, but he has a fever, he is clearly a lot hotter to touch than the other chickens. He has obviously stopped crowing also in this listless state.

They have been treated for external parasites, they are in the clear it is not mites or lice. It is also not worms. No signs of respiratory disease are visible in the ones that get like this and die, although my flock is positive in mycoplasma or coryza (or one of the other respiratory disease, not sure which one but I think mycoplasma). It is not any other vermin around the yard either, I do not have any mice or rats. It is nothing to do with crop issues either, have checked.

What is going on with my flock?

Last edited:
My first guess would have been a Coccidiosis outbreak/overload,but b/c your birds are Mycoplasma positive it could be a E Coli infection.

Is a vet an option to get a confirmed diagnosis? E coli infections can be tricky to treat, i believe the drugs used are either Amoxicillin or Baytril.

Green poop is usually an indication of starvation,which fits your description of weight loss.

Last edited:
I'm pretty certain it's not cocci. Could be E.Coli or any number of other potentials. Vet fees are one thing I did want to avoid, but if there is no other way of knowing from the symptoms I've posted, I may have to if I don't stop losing my birds. I guess I was just hoping someone could narrow down the potentials for me.

How do you know you don't have worms? Are they vaccinated for Marek's? Can you post some poop pictures?

-Kathy

Well, actually I should say I'm pretty certain it's not worms for a number of reasons such as, I haven't seen any signs of worms in poop, they have been on ACV every couple of days per week for months now, they regularly take garlic, they have had food grade DE in their feed a few times recently, and not long a go I did use an all natural wormer (Verm X).

Now I know some of you will say that means nothing until I use a chemical wormer, and to be honest I am planning on doing that now just to make sure 101% it is not worms, although I think I can be pretty certain with the 4 or 5 natural methods mentioned above it is not likely to be worms.

Do worms cause a fever?

will take some pics of poop tomorrow, night here now.

1 of the one's that died was vaccinated for marek's, the others are not.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom