Chickens Dying One by One, Need Advice!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ang87, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Ang87

Ang87 New Egg

Apr 25, 2016
    I wish I came to you with a fun story, but I am in need of some advice.

About 2 months ago, our chickens started laying! YAY!! We were so excited! Well...today one passed. I really thought she was getting better, she was walking around and everything! Now, a second one is showing the same symptoms that the other one that passed today was. These symptoms include:

-not laying anymore (none of the three)
    -unstable, wobbly when they try to get up and walk-fall to one side
    -droopy eyes
    -lethargic
    -and just sitting around the water

We have Golden Wyandotte's. The food they eat is large pellet AllWay (what my local feed store suggested) as well as chicken scratch (they like picking at the corns and sunflower seeds) :) They also pick at the fruit and nut mix that falls from the wild bird feeders. From time to time I also throw out melons and other fresh treats. For calcium I use ground up egg shells. They also have multiple water bowls around the yard that are changed out daily.

I've raised these boogers from 6weeks old, and now I feel like I'm killing the poor things. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong and could really use the advise. This is our first go at the backyard chicken life, feel free to lecture me! I have to learn somehow :) I'd just rather not lose anymore chickens in the learning process!!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss.

How old are they?

Hopefully someone else will give some input, but the first thing that comes to mind since they all are showing symptoms is Cocci.
    Treatment is with Corid, you can find this in the cattle section of your local feed store.

Corid dosage for Cocci is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.
    After they finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

Of course if you have a vet, that would be best.

There are other possibilities of course, so many things can go wrong. Look to see if they possibly ingested anything moldy/rotten.

This is just personal preference of mine, but I would not let them be eating the feed that drops from wild bird feeders. There are illnesses that can be transferred from wild birds to chickens.

Let us know how they are doing.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Corrid might help if that is the issue?
    Sounds like possible Mereks to me...Allowing your birds near wild bird feeders is not a real issue being wild birds are all over the place in our yards...Mereks is easily spread to our Chickens from wild birds, on our shoes, basically an easily transferable disease as many of them are...
    Best is to get a bird tested if one perishes? Or go to a vet...? Get a fecal test done...

Best of luck..

4. theuglychick

theuglychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2016
    Louisiana
    Could it be heat stress?

My birds lay against the waterers when they are hot. I've also noticed that they get the runs too. Are they panting or holding wings away from their bodies?

5. Ang87

Ang87 New Egg

Apr 25, 2016
    No, but when they fall ill with whatever this is, they will come by me and lower their head and kinda push up their wings and let me pet them and pick them up...which is unusual-since they've been grown and begun laying, they like their space. ;) I also keep a fan going outside at all times, we are located in Texas!! It for sure gets HOT!

They are about 7 months old!

And yes, even with no bird feeder, our neighbors have a berry producing tree that hangs into our backyard so wild birds are always visiting. The wild birds even come pick at the chicken feed and waterers. I don't think I could keep them away, but thank you for the information on the wild bird diseases! :) Never even thought about it.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  6. Ang87

Ang87 New Egg

Apr 25, 2016
    Hello again! I have not gone to a vet. I went and bought some sort of electrolyte powder for their waters and she pepped up a bit after that. However, something is still terribly wrong. The one that passed I left alone and let sit. Was trying to let her "work it out"...this time I've made a point to go out several times a day just to move the new sick one. I'll scoot her, chase her, pick her up and get her all hot and bothered, whatever works! The color fades from her comb (that's what it's called, correct?) it comes back when I get her blood flowing. She still acts like, hmm, the best way I can describe it is she doesn't know where the ground is to take her next step. It looks crazy. She's not falling over anymore, so at least that. Just takes her a while to walk. I washed all the gunky green caked on poo off her bottom that has built up today...she was compliant, until she was done. Fair enough, Moe.

While I was at the feed store this last time, they had some "cheep" baby chicks. I thought, what baby doesn't pep someone up!? So I got two and brought them home. She just couldn't help her curiosity! Haha. Our healthy Wyandotte that's left, Curly, wants them dead lol but Moe here, although may want to kill them as well lol, enjoyed observing. (Yes, Larry was the one that passed) ;)

Thank you for all the kind words, advice, and messages. It has really helped! Keep your fingers crossed for me, and I will keep you updated!

Side note-we have two silkies as well. They are both healthy and doing fine! :) Whatever this is, I can't figure it out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by