Chickens dying one by one. Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Happy Day Farm, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Happy Day Farm

Happy Day Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    [​IMG] Please help! We have been losing our chickens one by one almost weekly. We lost all 3 Buff Orpingtons (from a local hatchery and vaccinated), 2 Cochins (bought from local breeder and not vaccinated) and now today...a Japanese Bantam pullet. They just become lethargic. As soon as we notice, we have separated them, given them electrolytes and vitamin B. Unfortunately by the time they show symptoms, it seems to be too late.

We are keeping their food and waterers clean. Their coop is in a large fenced area with our 4 pygmy goats. They seem to cohabitate extremely well. Could that be a problem? I am just not sure what else we can do. We keep their entire area clean.

The Buff Orpingtons just died out of no where. Within a few days, we discovered each one of them lying dead in the yard. No prior symptoms and they were all about 20 weeks.

The cochins became lethargic and died within 24 hours. The little bantam pullet just became very ill today. My daughter just went to put them in for the night and she was just lying there and allowed her to scoop her right up. She won't even balance her weight or open her eyes. We just separated her but I feel like we are going to continue this cycle. I thought chickens lived for years???

Since mid summer, we have lost 1 silkie hen, 3 buff orpingtons pullets (20 weeks), 2 cochin hens (1 yr old), 3 japanese bantams pullets (20 weeks) and 1 new hampshire red pullet.

What are we missing here???

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I amthinking cocci? Have you checked their poop? Do they free range in the rain and mud?

3. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    How old are the birds? It sounds to me like cocci. But normally it only REALLY effects young birds. We had a problem with it a while back and it was TERRIBLE. The birds were lethargic, wouldn't stand or walk hardly, in some cases wouldn't open their eyes, and had bloody poop. They eventually died because we had no idea what they had or what to do. Look at their poop, if it's bloody, Then it's almost for sure cocci.. Worm all of your chickens and seperate the sick ones, it spreads, and kills very fast.
    good luck!

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Try Corid for coccidia. Also make sure the goats aren't hurting them somehow.

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Take today's sad loss and get her necropsied so you can find out what's going on and stop the terrible death toll here. This is a time sensitive thing. You can do a search here on BYC (via search tab above) and get more info.
    JJ

6. Happy Day Farm

Happy Day Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Thank you so much everyone. This is very helpful! We have not noticed any blood in their poop. Also, my husband reminded me that none of the pullets that died were vaccinated. Does that make a big difference? The initial flock we purchased were vaccinated but these were not.

Also, I have read about Apple Cider Vinegar. Should we put that in the water?

My pygmy goats have all gained a lot of weight lately and are slower moving. I am a little worried that maybe they have gotten sick from eating the chicken poop. Do you think thats possible? I realize this isn't a goat forum but I imagine some people probably have other animals as well. I assumed it was from eating their scratch and getting their winter coats but now I am a little worried. I love my goats. They are pets to our girls. Should I put some ACV in their water too?

Please share your thoughts.

Thank you!!!

7. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    It's very strange that they are dying so quickly and with no other symptoms.

Have you by any chance been trying to kill rats/mice with poison? If any of the chickens caught a slow or sluggish mouse that was dying and then ate the mouse (chickens will swallow them up), then the chicken would also be poisoned and that would explain why only 1 chicken dies at a time.

8. fl_deb

fl_deb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Quote:It doesn't have to be you putting out the poisen either...a neighbor could be trying to get rid of the varmin and not realize that the sicken mice and rats will kill beneficial birds like owls and chickens.

9. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Quote:It doesn't have to be you putting out the poisen either...a neighbor could be trying to get rid of the varmin and not realize that the sicken mice and rats will kill beneficial birds like owls and chickens.

I agree. honastly, I'd call down at my neighbors and be sure. [​IMG]

10. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Are they peep peep peeping... if so treat with Sulmet... Corrid doesn't always work... Sulmet is very effective.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by