chickens dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gmhawn, Apr 4, 2011.

1. gmhawn

gmhawn New Egg

Sep 21, 2010
    In october i hatched 30 eggs, they are dying one by one, i have 11 left, I notice when they are starting to get sick they go off by themselves they puff up like they are cold (i live in florida), sluggish, i have tried everything i know. buttermilk oats with honey i wormed them at 2 weeks. Can anyone give me some other things i can do, the eggs i hatch come from hens i got from flea market could it be genetic, the sandflies here are really bad, also does a snake bite kill a chicken i do not see lots of snakes but i know i have them from just where i live....

Blessed Be
    Gayla Michele

2. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    hi and [​IMG]
    to help you better we will need a bit more info..if you could answer these questions for us that will be a big help [​IMG]

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  3. gmhawn

gmhawn New Egg

Sep 21, 2010
    not sure of breed of rooster but the hen is longhorn something like that 6-7 month not sure on weight , staying by self puffs up act like us when we have vertigo, show symptoms for a few days week at most, yes other birds show symptoms but only out of the last hatching i did i started with 30 birds, now i have 11 they do not show symptoms all at one time, no injury, i dont know of anything that has happen for this to happen, i have been feeding when i put her by her self starter grow with meds, and buttermilk mixed in, honey with oats, and garlic the garlic went in with the buttermilk drinking sugar water, not sure on the poop, but i have seen bloody poop and yellowish running poop in chicken yard....... i have a lady coming out on the 7th she is from the poulty place it is free....no vet, i cant find my camera to take a pic of coops but they are free range in day and i lock them up at night in chicken coops....... i hope i answered them all....

blessed be
    gayla michele

4. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    sounds like cocci to me then.....if you use the search function here on the forum you should find some more info on coccidiose [​IMG]

does it sound like this?

"Coccidiosis

This parasitic disease affects the intestinal tract.

You will notice your young fowl huddling with ruffled feathers, lack of vigor, loss of appetite, weight loss, slowed growth, loss of interest in water, pasty, beige or tan colored, blood tinged droppings, dehydration."

taken from the ultimate fowl blog - sick chickens http://ultimatefowl.wordpress.com/tag/sick-chicken/

there
    are many medicines for cocci i think corid (amprolium) being the most widely used? someone correct me if im wrong please!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by