1. enjoyin' my chickens

enjoyin' my chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    In the last week I have lost 2 of my chickens. Marlon was the first and Goldie was the second. They both were very active and then just took a turn for the worse. Marlon stopped walking around and the others started to peck at him so I brought him into the house. Two days later he was dead. The following morning when I went out to check on my chickens after I had buried Marlon the day before Goldie was dead and pecked. I immediately removed what was left of her from the run and buried her. That was on Saturday morning. Saturday late afternoon I noticed that Buffy was starting to lay around also. I immediately brought her into the house to isolate her from the others and she has refused to eat or drink since. I am scared of losing yet another of my children in less than a weeks time. Marlon was about 3-4 months and Goldie and Buffy are ~5 months. Please help.

Oh yeah all of their poo looks normal so I have pretty much negated the option of cocci. I also added some new birds last weekend but they are isolated in another pen till I can figure out what I am going to do with them.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Could you list any symptoms they showed or post a pic of a sick one? Any sneezing, diarrhea, check for parasites...?

3. enjoyin' my chickens

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    No sneezing, poo is looking a little runny almost a watery look but color appears to be normal and do not see any parasites. i will post a pic in a short bit.

4. Hot2Pot

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Have you dewormed at all? Given the age I would suspect cocci. I have heard Corid is good for that.

5. enjoyin' my chickens

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    no did not know that had to be done. My ignorance.
    What type of wormer and how much should I use?

6. enjoyin' my chickens

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    Here are some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Hot2Pot

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I use wazine to deworm, but I don't think worms kill them, usually just runny poop I think. Maybe you should read up on cocci and treat for that.

8. enjoyin' my chickens

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    Thank you. I have been reading and it seems that cocci has other symptoms that are tell-tale other than just the blood in the stool. I think that I am going to see if I can pic up some Corid tomorrow from one of the feed stores around here. Thank you for all of your input and I hope that I can get this cleared up fast. i do not want to lose anymore of my birds to this.

9. Hot2Pot

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Good luck, hope your birds are ok. Keep us posted.

10. 7kids12hens

7kids12hens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Hopefully you don't lose anymore birds, but if you do, check with the dept of agriculture for your state, and find out where their lab is. I had my bird necropsied for $30 and gained a wealth of information from it. They should have a vet there that specializes in poultry. They only deal with dead animals though. That will let you know waht / if you need to treat the rest of the flock. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by