Chickens eat how much?

Honestly speaking, I just have a hanging feeder and it is filled at all times, along with a container of fresh water...they will not eat any more than they want.

A standard size bird (vs a banty) will generally eat about 1/4 - 1/3 pound of feed per day. This will fluctuate with the amount of food they are able to find if they free range and/or how much they get in garden/kitchen scraps, treats.

How much do they eat? They'd eat me out of house and home if I let them!!! All kidding aside, I think it might depend on if and how much they free range. I have 5 pullets that range from 14 to 16 weeks in age. I scoop about 2 to 3 cups of food into their feeder each evening and the next evening there is probably only about less than a cup left in it. And it always varies. Sometimes there will be very little left, sometimes there will be about 3/4 cups. They also free range all day. Plus I give them treats like blueberries, yogurt, tomatoes but really not too much of that kind of stuff. What I have noticed is that they turn nothing down. They're fat and happy
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom