Chickens eat Jerry the mouse!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Klimmek6, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Klimmek6

Klimmek6 New Egg

May 6, 2015
    My husband has found mice nests under scratch containers in the run. The chickens eat them! This grosses me out and I am afraid to eat their eggs now, I can't fathom eating the eggs since I know they are eating the babies! Anyone else having these same issues. :sick

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Chickens LOVE baby mice!! And will eat adult mice too if they catch them.

3. Egg - Static

Egg - Static Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2016
    Mississippi
    Do they just pick at the adult mice as they eat it?
    How about for the pinkie mice---Do they get eaten whole?

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    The eggs aren't going to hurt you. No reason to be afraid of them. Do your chickens free range? You might be surprised at what they eat when they're out and about. Some will eat small snakes, lizards, bugs... Whatever source of protein is available. Oh, mine love "horse apples". Not sure if it's the bugs that they attract, or if they're picking out bits of undigested food or what.

Mine will carry a mouse around (while being chased by the rest of the flock) until they get a chance to eat it and it's gone in short order. I think the little pinkies are a delicacy to them - they scarf them down in one bite.

5. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    I wouldn't worry too much about what makes it into your chickens! I'm sure that if I knew what mine ate I wouldn't be so interested in eating their eggs [​IMG]

6. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    So chickens are good mousers. Who knew? I love it. My girls chase squirrels that get into their pen and will stare down the neighbors cat through the fence. If the cat only knew the scarcity of mice is due to my chickens. GC

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  7. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE FROM PEOPLE! [​IMG]

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.

Oh yeah, I had a cat catch a mouse in the chicken coop once. The chickens chased that cat around until she dropped the mouse and ran out of the coop! :lau One of the chickens grabbed the mouse to play keep away from the rest of them!

9. MillersFarm

MillersFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2016
    Lewiston NY
    One of my speckled sussex had caught a full grown mouse and ate it hole! [​IMG] i had gotten a photo and it was hilarious to watch her run around with the chickens chasing her, here are some pics [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by