Chickens eat mice?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cap1717, Sep 20, 2009.

1. cap1717

cap1717 6 chooks, 1 slave. . . me!

Jun 12, 2009
    I just watched my not quite 5 m.o. Barred Rock pullet catch and eat a mouse! I heard what I thought was the "egg song"(she has not yet laid) and went out to investigate. . . she had a nice sized mouse (thankfully deceased) in her beak and was running around shaking it, then, like a snake, she manouvered it into a "head first" position, and "down the hatch it went. Please enlighten me. . . is this common, or a real fluke? Thanks, Carol

2. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    Same story but a live leopard frog. Wish I had a camera for that one.

3. cluckincrazy

cluckincrazy Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Lakeland, FL
    I read on here somewhere about a rat/mouse nest under a nest box. The chickens devoured the babies.

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    heck yes they do. and snakes, lizards, toads, frogs etc. moles oh and whatever else isn't fast enough to get away.

it's the best when everyone gets an extremity and tries to run....

5. cap1717

Jun 12, 2009
    Thanks everyone. . . I was expecting some "bug control" as a fringe benefit. .. I had no idea that rodent control was also on the agenda. . . gosh, I love these chickens!

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    yes, it is. this is what is known as 'grass feeding'. if you were to feed only the grass and what chickens could find on their own (bugs, rodents, reptiles etc.) they would be solely 'Grass Fed'. it can be done if you have enough space and is quite economical.

unfortunately, most Americans don't have enough pasture do try this with enough flock to lose to predators and enough space to raise their flock.

7. cap1717

Jun 12, 2009
    Thanks for the comments, Jayne. . . I have a townhouse with a very small urban backyard, but planted heavily with native plant materials, a small flower and veggie garden (which will need to be fenced if it is to survive the chooks) and a tiny lawn that I am planning on expanding this autumn. So far, predators have not been a problem, my biggest worry was hawks, but the chooks have LOTS of good cover, and my collie dog is chicken protector par excellence! Keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to continue to let them free range in the yard during the day.

8. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    We went over a year without a loss to predators and then about 1 month ago lost our favorite OEG bantam hen, most likely to a hawk. Hope your dog will help to deter any losses. It is amazing what they will eat. Good luck.

9. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    My chickens like frogs. Gross.

10. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    My silkies are some mouse killing machines [​IMG] [​IMG] They even stalk the barn kitties and steal the mice from them that they catch! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by