chickens eating A LOT

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KensingtonHens, Feb 1, 2011.

1. KensingtonHens

KensingtonHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Hi all! I have read that chickens only eat when they're hungry. Unlike a dog, who will eat himself sick! Well, my two eat all day long! [​IMG] I feed them in the morning, about 2 cups of pellets and then they get treats off and on through out the day. Maybe left over dinner or some fruit. When I go to feed them in the afternoon they act like they're starving! Fighting over the pellets! I only have the two, they get plenty of food...but maybe not? [​IMG]

The food does get knocked out of the bowl so there is always some on the ground. They hunt and peck all day. I'm afraid I'm not feeding them enough.

How much is enough?

Thank you!!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Just keep their feeders full. Chickens are birds, they run around eating and pooping. Your average backyard hen will eat anywhere from 5-8 ounces a day depending on the weather.

3. jason389

jason389 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2010
    PBC
    My four pick all day from when they come out to when they go back in the coop. They have there feed, corn scratch, but mostly like to graze the yard about all day except when dirt bathing, grooming.

4. KensingtonHens

Nov 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Quote:[​IMG]

I see! Being so new to this has it's moments! They do a lot of running around. It makes me think they're bored and I should go play with them...Like the kids when they were small! I do give them treats because they seem to need some excitement.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

When they have something to "do" they tend to eat less feed. The week or so of icy snow, the old bird didn't want to leave the tractor. They ate about 2x the feed. Granted, it was 20-30F, they sleep in the run, and didn't forage their usual cleared acre of shrubbery/trees/grasses and so on.

At least cihckens don't fly and poop like cockatiels and parakeets... you get 3d Poo that way.

6. jpohl

jpohl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2011
    Sounds good for me at least today [​IMG]

7. jpohl

jpohl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2011
    Sounds good for me at least today [​IMG]

8. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    i know how you feel. my 10 have gone through 20+ lbs of food and 10lbs of scratch since i got them this past saturday.... i am thinking they bust be part pig [​IMG]

9. KensingtonHens

Nov 30, 2010
    SoCal
    I think they need more stimulation. I'm going to install a Wii for them. They can play video games all day! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by