Chickens eating concrete crumbles?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DianeS, Nov 1, 2010.

1. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    I offer free choice grit to my chickens, but this weekend they were free-ranging in my backyard, and discovered that one part of my ancient concrete patio was crumbling. They all spent the next several minutes pecking at the crumbled concrete and eating it like grit!

Is this just a natural attempt to vary their diet (I guess different types of grit count as variety), or does it indicate that they are not eating as much of the regular grit as they should? If there is something I ought to be doing to encourage more regular grit consumption, please let me know!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They'll live. It will help them digest the food, just like gravel. Amazing what foragers they are. But you also need to careful that you don't leave anything out that will harm them.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If there is grit to be found (in the soil or some you provided), then you are doing fine.

4. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    They will be fine. No worries

5. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    So they were just fascinated by a "new" kind of grit? Good to know!

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    There's a lot of lime in concrete so it's also a calcium source as well.

7. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

They are fascinated by anything that excites one of them or you. [​IMG]

Should you ever see a chicken with something it should not have, do not chase it – the chicken will surely gulp the anti-chicken food right down (plus the rest of the flock will start chasing both of you).

Get a treat or a handful of food – get their attention and throw it down. Generally the anti-chicken food will be dropped in favor of the food you have tossed.

The stuff they eat would make you pass out if you saw it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by