Chickens eating dog poop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 3littlechickies, Jul 31, 2013.

1. 3littlechickies

3littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2013
    Castro Valley, CA
    HI! [​IMG]

My chicks are almost six weeks old so they are not out all day. When they are older and outside all the time do you think they would try to eat my dog's poop? I pick it up but just in case. Can it hurt them? My dog does try to eat cat (I don't have a cat but one poops on our front lawn sometimes), guinea pig and chick poop. I have a stupid question. If they eat poop can like the poop germs go into the egg? I know very stupid question! Thanks so much! [​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Mine don't bother dog poop - and I have free ranging chickens and 3 large dogs. I have the opposite problem - 2 of my dogs eating chicken poop!! [​IMG]

3. gino100

gino100 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Yea.. My dogs eat the chicken poo too. Chickens seem to be the smart one on that.

4. 3littlechickies

3littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2013
    Castro Valley, CA
    Thanks! [​IMG] I really hope my chickens don't eat it and my dog stops trying to eat there poop!

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Chill out. If it is organic and all poop is, sooner or later all chickens and most dogs are going to try it. My Sheba dog broke Elli May, my oldest daughter from letting her foo-foo dog eat off her plates. He did this by depositing a gnarly lump of doggy poo in my back yard and when my oldest daughter and her dog came over to visit her foo-foo dog found it and ate it. [​IMG]

I still don't think the foo-foo pooch has figured out why he isn't eating off the good china anymore[​IMG]

Do as you please in this matter but if chickens were harmed by eating poo they would all have died millenniums ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by