Chickens eating dust bath?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RAsChickens, Apr 9, 2017.

1. RAsChickens

RAsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I put some construction sand in a tray for a dust bath and put it in my 8 week old's run. They all came up and started eating it! Should I take it away?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Have you been providing them with grit ?

3. RAsChickens

They are outside so they are gertting tons, they have open run access all day and we lock them in at night.

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I'm not sure about construction sand. And when you say in their run, is it with ground access?

I use washed river sand, it has different size pebbles and they do peck/eat some to use as grit in their gizzards. They just bathe in loose soil here though, the sand is just flooring.

They are probably excited about seeing something new! Eating some probably won't hurt them. And they already know it isn't food. But there might be shiny stuff attracting them or something? I would expect them to quit eating it before too long.

You might give them a little treat to distract their initial curiosity and slow them down a touch.

Again, I am not 100% sure about "construction" sand.

5. EggSighted4Life

I would think they will be fine then.

If it worries you though, take it away and introduce it a little differently... like maybe it's already there when they wake up instead of being brought similar to a treat..

6. RAsChickens

According to thechicken-chick.com, washed river sand and construction sand are the same thing. They have their coop, then a little door i open and leave open all day. A ramp leads down to grass and dirt, which they peck at all day. I provide them with a dust bath because it rains a lot here! They hang out in the shade under the coop so I put it there. I can post a picture if you want.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  7. EggSighted4Life

We get heavy rain too, but maybe not quite as much as you! So I understand providing a bath. They sure love it. [​IMG]

It's been so DRY for the past couple years since I lived here. You know drought and all. [​IMG] But this seems to have turned into a pretty good rain year. Even though my covered portion of the run is about 12x24, when it's been a GOOD storm, then only the 1/3 center near the back wall is still dry.

Sounds like you're probably fine. BUT... I would never refuse a pic! [​IMG]

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    My birds exuberantly peck, and I assume eat, at the dirt where they dust bathe.
    Tho my birds are confined they do have access to gravely, sandy, 'dirt'....
    .....but I still toss out some granite grit regularly as the very hard and sharp sided graniie is the best for digestive grit.
    http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by