Chickens eating each other's feathers!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sychoi, Oct 13, 2009.

1. sychoi

sychoi New Egg

Mar 25, 2009
    I have about a dozen white Silkies. Recently, my chickens have been picking off and eating their siblings' feathers. They are all super sweet and have good temperament (like most Silkies), so it's not like they were fighting. They just seem to really want to eat feathers. Is their behavior due to missing some kind of nutrient in their diet?

2. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    It might be that they are to close to each other. How big of an area are they in?

3. sychoi

sychoi New Egg

Mar 25, 2009
    We have a pretty large backyard, and we don't fence them in so they would have more room to move around. If they wanted to, all twelve can be in completely different areas, away from each other, if they wanted to. Like I said, they don't ever fight, unlike other breeds of chicken I've had (but after a year or so, those also displayed similar feather-eating behavior).

4. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Eating feathers can be a sign of a diet deficiency. Unfortunately I can't remember what just now but you could probably google it. I had a link that would tell you but it's now gone [​IMG]

5. hildymarie

hildymarie Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    da UP of Michigan
    protein

6. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    [​IMG] Feed them dry catfood, they are lacking protien. Make sure your feed has enough in it,(protien) can't remember the percentage though. Protien.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  7. sychoi

sychoi New Egg

Mar 25, 2009
    Thank you for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by