Chickens eating egg...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Zinnia-Hen, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Zinnia-Hen

Zinnia-Hen Live & Let Live

Jan 29, 2011
    This afternoon I went to check on my chickens and one of the hens laid an egg. But when I looked closer they had cracked it open and started eating the yolk. I shooed them away and took what was left of the egg out of their pen. (They're temporatily living in a big pen in the garage until I can get them a coop, which shouldn't be too long...) Is there anything to be worried about, I've never had this issue before...

2. patvetzal

patvetzal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Bancroft, Ontario
    I just started having the same problem. In my case it started when they came off of their molt in in Feb and some eggs started to freeze and crack before I could get to them. Went from 2 eggs/day or more (3 hens) to one salvaged egg every second or third day.
    Find one of OPA's posts about nesting boxes that hide the eggs....I just saw a picture of them tonight and will be building new boxes tomorrow.
    Type in "roll away nest" in the search box...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  3. Fireman Farmer

Fireman Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2011
    EasternShore of Virginia
    I have a Turken that has been breaking and eating eggs for over a week now. Sometimes 1 and other times she breaks and eats them all including her own. The girls get all they want to eat and Oyster shells. This is really becoming a problem Does anybody know why [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by