chickens eating eggs and laying everywhere

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momof4w2, Aug 12, 2010.

1. momof4w2

momof4w2 New Egg

Aug 12, 2010
    my chikens are eating their eggs and laying everywhere! we have tried locking them in the coop, that took care of them laying everywhere but now they are eating the eggs. we found a post online that said to blow out the eggs and put mustard in. we did that and they like mustard! does anyone have any ideas?

2. DurangoCal

DurangoCal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    I've read that you can put golf balls or plastic/wooden eggs into the nests. The idea being they will peck at the fake egg and get discouraged. I am doing this now as I suspect I may have one egg eater in the bunch. My pullets are just coming into lay and I found one pullet with yolk on her leg-it may be just an egg without a shell but to be sure I am staying right on top of it! I also go out every hour to collect the real eggs so that the egg eater can't get to them. Good luck!

3. momof4w2

momof4w2 New Egg

Aug 12, 2010
    hi,

We have tried the golf balls and they worked a while ago. now they roll them out of the nest. we locked them up in the coop for about three days and then they started eating the eggs!! When we let them out they lay all over the yard and eat half . HElp !!!!

4. DurangoCal

DurangoCal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    It's interesting you say that! My pullets pushed the golf balls that we put in the nesting boxes before they started laying and even now they will push them out. I switched to Easter Eggs about two days ago and not one has been pushed out. In fact, I've found a few pullets laying on them! You may have a hard time finding Easter Eggs this time of year in the stores but if you have any on hand it's worth a shot!

Are you able to go out and collect them on an hourly basis or so? Also, they may be getting bored or not getting enough nutrition from the feed you are giving them. Try taking out treats to them and switching food. Or maybe try hot sauce inside the eggs you blow out instead of the mustard they like. Sorry I can't think of anything else!

5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    You can buy wooden eggs at craft stores. They feel a lot like real eggs to the chickens and I often will find one of the girls in brooding a pile of wooden eggs that she has gathered together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by