Chickens eating eggs-Not what you think

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicks Galore3, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Me and my brother were on a role today- we broke 2 out of three eggs we got this morning. Anyways, we took away the shell and fed the chickens the white and yolk. Don't want them to go to waste! But will this encourage egg-eating?

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    If there is no shell is visible, they probably won't know it is an egg. If they do start egg eating, you can put a wood egg in their nest box, that will confuse them.

I had a couple bantams that will lay an egg near the roost bar, then one of them will jump up on the roost bar and land on the egg to crack it. The other one will come over and grasp the egg with both feet and start pecking away. (Velociraptors I tell ya!)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I commonly toss dirty or eggs that I'm uncertain of when they were laid out into the run for my chickens to eat. Shell and all. I've never had an egg eating problem. The one time I suspected an issue turned out to be mice, and they left the shells behind as evidence. I also feed all of my eggshells back to the birds as a calcium source. I don't crush or bake them, just crack them open when I'm using eggs and take them out the next time I see the birds. I've been doing this ever since I first got chickens. So about 8 or so years now :)
    Nikki

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  4. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Ok, thanks for the reassurance!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by