Chickens eating eggs/Rooster with new hens??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by srm8824, Aug 2, 2013.

1. srm8824

srm8824 New Egg

Aug 2, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Hello. My name is Sam. I am new to this forum. I came across it while googling because I am having a dilemma.

First of all, my chickens were 3 when they came from my mother-in-law and we have had them almost a year. They laid eggs for the first week (maybe) and then they stopped. I caught one of them eating the eggs... This has gone on for about a year. They may still be eating them, I'm not certain.

My friend has two chickens that she is going to give me. I was going to let the other non-laying chickens out of their pin and just let them in the yard to eat the bugs and whatnot and put the other new chickens in there with the (old) rooster, too.

How will my rooster respond to this? Is this a good idea? I'm not sure how to handle the situation!

Any suggestions please!

2. five is my dog

five is my dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    that sounds good i would do the same your roo will be unhappy for a few days though but he should take to it.

3. srm8824

srm8824 New Egg

Aug 2, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the input! I am worried because I do not have a fence in my yard so I suppose I will just keep them out in the day and let them back in at night in a separate area from the new chicks. Will this behavior transfer from the old hens to the new hens?

Sorry for all the questions about this! I just got the chickens and right off the bat I started to have issues and we have no fence so I feel like my options have been limited. I want some eggs but I do not mind keeping the chickens out in the yard. I'm not sure. I have grown attached to them and I do not want anything bad to happen :(

4. five is my dog

five is my dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    as long as you have a pretty big yard you dont need a fence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by