chickens eating eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by froggy, Sep 2, 2007.

1. froggy

froggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    dickson,tennessee
    ok why are my chickens eating their eggs. i have seen my barded rocks do this and now others are doing it now help!!!!

2. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The most important things to do are, increase the protein in their diet. Treats like dry cat food and black oil sunflower seeds are around 30% and that will make a world a difference. They are lacking enough protein and are smart enough to find what they need in the eggs because of their high protein content.

Darken the nests by placing a sheet accross the front and cutting a slit for the entrance. Hens can't eat eggs they can't see. They will still enter to lay and have more privacy. Egg eaters teach others to do the same, so this needs attention and I know these things help alot. Even though commercial feed is suppose to have everything needed, stressful hens require more protein to stay healthy. Collect eggs often as possible to also help keep them from pecking at them. Good Luck.

bigzio

3. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    my chickens "did: eat there eggs and so i posted a topic about it and got alot of good advise, i put hot sause in the eggs and put some concrete eggs out there aand after the pecked them and got the hot saulse in there mouths and got sa headach from peaking the concreat eggs the stoped eating them, so now i never will feed them eggs again!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14077&p=1

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2007
  4. froggy

froggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    dickson,tennessee
    thank you so much was not sure the chickens did it in the hen house because there was a small hole only at one end and the yoke was out but shell still whole.but did see my chickens get 2 eggs i layed down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by