Chickens eating eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mayberry Chicken Shack, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Mayberry Chicken Shack

Mayberry Chicken Shack Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2010
    Mt. Airy, N.C.
    My buddy has chickens that started laying last week, he told me today that he thinks his chicken are eating their eggs is this normal?

2. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Ours will, if we don't steal them quick enough. The big fat EE starts it, and they all run around chasing whomever got the egg open first, its like a game of "chicken football". I don't know how normal it is, but it happens here, too.

I also have a neighbor whose chickens AND dog were eating the eggs for weeks before she noticed where the eggs disappeared to. [​IMG]

3. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    No it is not normal and offending birds need to be separated or culled before they all start doing it. Likely there are only 1 or 2 offenders and the rest just join in after it is broken open. [​IMG]

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Are they getting enough calcium?

5. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:Y'know, that IS the issue with our egg eating EE hen. She has "issues" with calcium, will not eat the oyster shell calcium which is always available free choice, always has very thin shelled eggs, and has nodules which look calcified on her comb. She always checks clean for ova and parasites. She gets layer feed, free choice. We think she shows signs of calcium imbalance. She always has. I bet you're right. The other chickens aren't like that.

She's my good bird friend, though. I have no good reason to cull her, as we're not in it for the eggs, just for the fun. She's pretty funny. Any eggs we get are bonus eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by