Chickens eating eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmerbrowne, Jan 23, 2015.

1. farmerbrowne

farmerbrowne Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy all,
    I have searched this site for help but to no avail. I have been trying to figure out which one of my hens is eating the eggs. They lay an egg and in under a half hour, its been eaten. I didnt have any spicy sauce so I made up some with chilli and cayenne pepper mixed with water and filled two eggs with it. they ate it with no reaction! I would rather not have to repurpose the birds. I am at my wits end here. please heelp

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Spicy stuff doesn't bother the birds. I recently read on some thread here about filling the eggs with something that works but, for the life of me, I can't remember what it was. The answer is here somewhere....

3. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Mustard! that was what it was I read before! Type *egg eaters* into the search bar for this page and there is plenty of info on the subject!

4. farmerbrowne

farmerbrowne Chillin' With My Peeps

ok I will try mustard. I have looked but nothing seemed to be of use. I havefeed, grit, oyster shell, water the standard. hopefully the mustard will work thank you

5. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Good luck and hopefully the mustard will stain the beak of the criminal! BUSTED! [​IMG]

6. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

If they always lay in the nests, you could try a roll-away nest box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by