Chickens eating eggs

nicksbirds

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2015
I have 15 laying hens. 10 of them are young and the other 5 of them are older. I realized a few days ago that all of them were eating their eggs. I tried mustard in eggs and soap but it doesn't seem to stop them what should i do

I have 15 laying hens. 10 of them are young and the other 5 of them are older. I realized a few days ago that all of them were eating their eggs. I tried mustard in eggs and soap but it doesn't seem to stop them what should i do

Welcome to our flock!
welcome-byc.gif
Nasty habit, very hard to break. You could get some fake wooden eggs (not nice on the beak, SURPRISE!) that look real and collect eggs every 15 minutes (kidding) just more often and build or order roll away nest boxes. They can't break 'em if they can't get 'em! A lot of people like that type of nest box. Keeps eggs clean, prevents unwanted brooding and no broken eggs!
smile.png

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

You've received a good links from Kelsie2290! I hope you can stop the egg-eating.

Egg eaters are a persistent bunch, all it takes is seeing one bird do it and then the whole flock gets involved. Roll away nest boxes are really the best approach - somewhere on here there are instructions for building your own.
Some folks get so exasperated over this behavior that they either rehome the hens and start over with new birds, or eat them. There are some people who nip it in the bud when caught early. They have curtains covering the entrance to the nest box, so it is dark inside - when the hen can't see the egg, she may leave it alone.

Back
Top Bottom